Friday, March 6, 2009

Lets talk about ridiculous parenting advice

I came across this article while browsing the msn and the title immediately attracts my attention,Worst Parenting Advice Ever Heard. As I read those indeed ridiculous advises, I can’t stop thinking of the ridiculous parenting advises that people gave to me since my pregnancy up until now. I know that as a malay we have a lot of petua from our ancestors but as a normal human being when I feel like the petua sounded more ridiculous then logic, I don’t take the advice. Among the parenting advices that I’ve heard are:

1. Jangan minum ice nanti baby keluar kepale botak


I don’t know about other mommies, but I can’t stand a day without ice and cold drink especially during my pregnancy because I felt hot most of the time and always sweating. I still remember a friend of my FIL came to me when he sees me drinking sirap ice and said “Orang mengandung tak elok minum ice, nanti baby botak macam pakcik ni ha “, memang kepale dia botak pon. Tapi bila aku tanya emak aku dia kate minum je sebab esok2 mase pantang dah tak boleh minum ice dah, that’s why my emak is the coolest ever.

Surprise Surprise but my baby was born with thick black hair despite me drinking ice cold water all the time.

Iman umur sebulan, rambut tercacak2 mase tido,hehehe.

2. Mase berpantang jangan makan buah sebab sejuk.

It’s a general knowledge that eating a lot of fruits is good for our health and I am a person who eats fruits everyday. Even during my pregnancy I ate a all kind of fruits despite my senior colleagues said certain fruits are bad for pregnant lady (aku buat degil jek sampai diorang tak larat nak bising dah,hehehe). According to my doctor eating oranges is good during postnatal because the fiber in oranges can help your wound heals.

Indeed I ate oranges everyday during my confinement.

3.Baby baru lahir jangan pakai baju kuning nanti kene sakit kuning.

When my son was about 2 weeks old I put a yellow shirt on him an when the nurse ( nurse klinik desa) came and saw the yellow shirt she was like so surprise and told me to take of the yellow shirt that instant. Can a baby get jaundice just by wearing yellow shirt? Peliknya. Even my cool mum said nothing about the yellow shirt and my mum is much older then the freak-out nurse.

Just to share here, our next door neighbor in muar paints their wall from yellow to white to avoid their baby from getting jaundice.

My baby is healthy, alhamdulillah and never gets jaundice.

4. Jangan puji baby comel.

I don’t know if this petua is only practice by people from Perak or what but I heard this petua a few time at Ipoh. My husband’s aunt came by to see our baby and said “ buruknya dia”, tak terkejut kau orang tiba2 cakap baby kau buruk. Maybe she saw my shocked face she then explain that we should say the baby is ugly so that when the baby grow up he’ll become handsome. Macam tu la pulak! Another friend said “ kalau kita puji dia nanti dia riak”. As if the baby understands what you were saying, duhhhhhh.

5. Pakaikan baby stokin/ tak payah pakaikan baby stokin?

This one is a bit annoying because different people keep saying different thing. Of course I make sure my baby wears his booties when he’s a baby up until he’s 5 months old then one day when we came to pick up Iman at the baby sitter place, my baby sitter’s sister said that Iman is big enough, it’s now okay if he don’t wear booties anymore. So I follow the advice. But then my husband keep telling me to make Iman Wear booties or socks again coz he said he’s still a baby (plus ade sorang makcik ni buat muka terkejut gila nampak baby aku tak pakai stokin kate anak2 dia dulu pakai stokin ssampai umur setahun sepanjang mase). So I obey and Iman still wear socks all the time until now (or else my husband will keep on nagging). Then my parents came and said he’s now big enough and the socks prevent him from feeling the ground especially now that he’s big enough to be put in the baby walker, arrggghhhhhh. Akak tention kadang2 bila dapat advice bercanggah2 ni. Asyik nak ikut cakap orang je.

My verdict is, when I feels like the day is gonna be cold, I’ll make him wears the socks or else I won’t. Follow my instinct. My baby, my way, ends of discussion.

Actually there’s a lot more ridiculous parenting advice that I wanted to share but for today, those listed above are all that I can think of. Lagi pon dah pukul 5 kejap lagi nak balik and aku nak kemas barang and cabut on time harini. Tak sabar nak start cuti and yeay yeay ISNIN CUTI. Yippieeeeeeeeeeeeee.

SELAMAT BERCOTI DAN MENYAMBUT MAULIDUL RASUL.

2 comments:

MK said...

"eii..buruknye baby..." ni kelakar!!! mmg rasa macam nak telan je sapa2 ckp baby aku buruk ok!!

eyda said...

Betol...terbeliak mate mase dengar orang cakap macam tu..