Friday, February 20, 2009

Lets talk about money and happiness


I have a new mission. I’m trying to increase my general knowledge on what’s happening around the world in general, and what’s happening in Malaysia in specific because with the economic downturn, war in Gaza, political issue in Perak and karpal singh suing the sultan of Perak happening around us and in a way it’s affecting our life directly or indirectly, I think I should care more with my surrounding then I normally does. Normally I don’t read newspaper, I don’t watch the news, I don’t give a damn about politics and I definitely don’t care about any economic issue. Now I want to change all that. I want to care more.

So lately I’m trying to start a new habit which is to read newspaper everyday. It doesn’t go that well at first because reading newspaper is like reading the history book for me. The more I read the more I felt asleep. So, at first, instead of reading the news, I end up reading the colorful advertisement which is much more interesting. It’s been almost two weeks now and so far so good, I read more and more everyday.

So, yesterday as I was flipping on the business section of the star paper I came across this survey that says Malaysian not saving enough. In General only 2 out of 5 Malaysian save and less then one - on - three they make and stick to it. That’s 39% of Malaysian and I’m definitely excluded. But the more interesting finding is that according to the survey, 35% of Malaysian believes that money can buy happiness. I’m happily confirmed that I’m definitely excluded from this one as well.

Can money really buy happiness? What makes this people believes that happiness can be bought with money? What does being happy really means to them? I’m not surprise, angry or disagree with that statement though because I believe that different people are looking for different things in their life. Some may feel that living moderately in every ways is good enough but some may want to have all the best thing in the world that they can possibly have. I didn’t say that money is not important, it is important to have money to provide you and your family with your needs and wants but that doesn’t mean that you must get all the things that you want to make you happy because then, how do you know that you have enough. Will you be happy staying in a small single storey terrace or you need a bigger house? How big? A double storey link house or a bungalow or a mansion or a castle? If you can have a castle but it takes 20 years before you can finally afford it, do you rather wait that long to be happy? I know I won’t. If you ask me, it’s impossible to be happy if money is what it takes to be happy because no matter how much money you have it will never be enough. I rather be happy now staying in my small apartment with all the people that I love always by my side. Sure i'll be happy as hell if suddenly my boss give me one year bonus or a million dollar falls on my lap, i can think of a lot of things to do with it, pay my loans for a start. But if it doesn't happen and i only get one month bonus then should i cry or be ungreatfull? No. I'm still happy with my life, alhamdulillah.

I wanted to write more but i think my brain is freezing and wondering around to somewhere else but here. So, why don't you finish it and ask your self if money can buy you your happiness.

No comments: